Sunday, March 14, 2010

Anxiety

I couldn't find any get to know me quizzes that had any good answers. So I was just reading a book I got from the library. It's called The Punch: A Novel by Noah Hawley. It's about an alcoholic mother and her 2 sons that travel across the country to take their fathers ashes to their final resting place. Well I'm not very far in and I got to passage where the mother is describing what she feels about her anxiety when she wakes up early in the morning. 

It moved me to say the least...because it is absolutely spot on to what it feels like to have that anxious feeling for no reason. 

Well here it is...

"Her heart is thundering in her chest. Anxiety. It is an ugly word. There is something about the x and y, the way it looks, the long i sound, nasal, whining. It is onomatopoetic. And yet the true feeling of anxiety, the oceanic magnitude, makes the word seem pitiful, inadequate. This panicked, galloping fear should have an entire dictionary dedicated to it, a bible."

I love that bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment